Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
07-01-2009, 12:17 AM   #1

tigger is incontinent *emotional vent*

i'm a little frustrated. many of you know tigger's condition with the fatal tumor and how it's progressed.
well he started by missing the litter box but now i think he's completely incontinent as his bedding was soaked with urine this last week and it's getting really hard to clean up after him. he's also not grooming himself for a long time now anymore and smells bad from urinating on himself.
if it were your cat that had a tumor that closed one eye and made him breathe funny, started walking crooked, had inquenchable thirst, started missing jumps, and now is incontinent...what would you be thinking and what would you do?
i don't know if my feelings are normal but i think i'm dealing with his upcoming death in a strange way. maybe because it is easier but i feel angry. i know that's horrible. i feel guilty and it's not so much i'm mad at him, more like i'm mad with the universe and frustrated with the condition and what it's doing to him.
have any of you ever felt like this? am i completely wacko? do i just have mental issues?
i kind of feel like i'm avoiding him because i don't want to feel anything when he goes. isn't that horrible?
am i just dealing with what's to come in an abnormal way?
i feel like i could cry but the tears won't come. it's like i'm dried up. maybe i am just upset with myself. putting him to sleep even crossed my mind today but i put it out of my mind as this is not the time to make a hasty decision just because i'm upset.
i'm at a loss..and very frustrated, angry, etc..and feel horrible and guilty for feeling this way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
07-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #2

Re: tigger is incontinent *emotional vent*

So sorry to read this Tink.....We all think as you do, try to ignore what is stareing us in the face, but at the end of the day, his quality of life is what is important, if he has no quality of life think there is only one answer...
Thoughts with you...Hugs..x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-01-2009, 04:20 AM   #3

Oh Tink, I'm so sorry. Don't beat yourself up for your feelings, it's natural to be very conflicted at what you don't want to face up to. Anger is displacement. I do think it sounds as if it's time to let dear Tigger go, hard as it is. The last loving thing you can do for him. Big hugs, hon.....

Catsey Veteran

07-01-2009, 04:56 AM   #4

Thanks, both of you. I have calmed down and talked with my mother over the phone about the kind of cat Tigger is and how he would like to live. OH and I are in discussion right now of possibly PTS

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #5

Tink, I think you know in your heart that the time is getting close. It's a terrible decision to have to make, and probably this is why your are running the whole range of emotions - the anger because you are unable to help and unable to avoid the ultimate decision.

I wish you and your family all the strength in the world . . . however once you have made the decision and Tigger is at peace I suspect the relief will be immense.

Stay strong sweetie.

Catsey Veteran

07-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #6

Thank you, Yola.

Well we have decided that Tigger will be going to the bridge, at the latest, this weekend.
I will be calling his vet tomorrow when I wake up to see if we can get him in Saturday. If it needs to be sooner, then I will have to see about the ER vet or if I can find a vet to do a housecall as I am working around my OH's work schedule right now because I am not driving at this time. Or find a vet that is open later on Saturdays (ours is only open for two hours on Saturdays so I don't know if they can squeeze us in or not).
Sorry, I'm babbling and in robot mode right now. But I did finally cry when I called and talked to my mother again and told her our decision. Once OH nodded and said he agreed with me it all became real.
Apologize if i sound strange, I'm in a strange daze about it all at the moment and am feeling detached and clinical. I guess it's becoming not real to me again until I have a day and time set. Then I'll probably cry again.
If it has to wait till this weekend, it's going to be hard to know that all week but then it gives me some time with him.
However, tonight I picked him up so I could change his bedding out and he was soaked with urine I cried then too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
07-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #7

I dont know what to say. Sending you a big hug and you know we are all here for you.

jane X

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #8

Tink, I'm glad you're able to cry now. Don't worry about not doing so I don't think it's a pre-requisite to feeling sad.

I was thinking about it just now; I felt terrible as I didn't really cry over my Dad's death - well maybe initially simply because of the shock. I thought there must be something wrong with me because I didn't. It's only when I read a book about coping with grief I understood that it's not necessary to cry - the feelings of loss, guilt, anger, sadness are all still there and are certainly not diminshed by lack of tears.

I do feel, and you and OH do, that you have made the right decision with Tigger. The poor love sounds as if he is finally loosing his battle.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #9

I cannot add anything more to what Yola has said.
All I will say is, and i know it's not easy, but try to stay strong for him. He needs you more now than at any other time.
All my love and best wishes xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #10

A very hard decision to make Tink, but you know that you will be doing right by Tigger - poor boy. (((HUGS)))