Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Medium haired Grey and peach rescue
14-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #1

weeing problems.

Hiya,

Hope someone will be able to offer some advice. I put a thread up about 6 months ago about Meka weeing in the bedroom.....this was resolved by putting litter trays in there.

Since then we have discovered that she has early stage kidney disease and is on renal diet now. She was doing well, but seems to be loosing weight now so is going back to the vets this week.

However, she has started weeing in the bedroom again, sometimes right next to a clean litter tray. She has two big litter trays in there and happily uses them, but then sometimes wees on the carpet instead. The other night i found her having a poo on the carpet, she didn't seem bothered, so i slipped the litter tray underneath her.......and she carried on.

She is coming up 13, and is the first cat i have had. Could this behaviour be a combination of the kidney troubles and signs of her going senile?

Any ideas how to stop it?! I've thought about putting a long dirt trapper mat under the litter trays so then at least i can wash the mat in the washing machine if she has an accident. Trying to get the smell out of the carpet is driving me mad!

Here's the little beauty.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
14-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #2

Re: weeing problems.

Poor baby and poor you. It may be the case that she has a touch of senility but at 13, she really isnt that old tbh. Has cytitis or urinary infection been ruled out? Cats with impaired kidneys are more prone to urine infections. Do you know what her blood levels were i.e. urea and creatinine. If it were a urine infection, she may well associate the litter tray with the pain of going. A mat might be a good idea for her mishaps.
You say she is losing weight, is she eating well enough? I dont mean that to0 sound like "are you starving her" , what I mean is how is her apetite? Is she eating the renal food?

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25488
http://www.felinecrf.org/
http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments....te_elimination
You may find these links useful.

Catsey Junior

14-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #3

Hi, Thank you for the links, i will have a look at them.

She is eating, but she has had the renal diet for 7 weeks now i think and the vet said that one bag should last her a month.....she's not even half way through it yet. But saying that, she really doesn't do anything but sleep all day and wonder round the flat in the evenings. I think she sometimes goes into the garden at night, but nothing strenuous!

I wondered about a urine infection, the odd thing is that she can we next to the litter tray, and then use it a couple of hours later, i sort of pressumed that she would go off using it for longer if she was developing an aversion to it.

She did have some blood tests 7 weeks ago, but don't know the details of it sorry, apart from that it showed she was in the early stages of kidney disease.

I will make an appointment to see the vet next week and mention the weeing. I want her to be happy - but also want a bedroom that doesn't smell of cat wee uuuurrrggghhh!

My friend is going to lend me their carpet cleaner ad i think i will get th mat to put down as soon as the carpet is clean. I might even put a towel on top too so that it's easy to see when she has weed and i can wash it straight away.

Thanks for the links.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #4

What a lovely cat! Sorry you're having these problems; hope the vet visit will give you some idea what might be causing it and it can get sorted. Agree the mat/towel is a good temporary solution; also that she's quite young for it to be feline dementia. Good luck, keep us posted, please.

Catsey Veteran

14-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #5

Apparently the best thing to use is non biological washing powder and water for getting the urine smell out of carpets. I am sure Mags or Dinahsmum will be able to help with the correct amounts.
Is she vomitting any froth? It could be that she is not eat much due to excess tummy acid, this is a common complain with CRF cats and is easily treated with an antacid from your vet and/or slippery elm bark. Once treated your kitty will feel more like eating. Many cats will not eat much (if at all) of the prescription food available. It is much more important that your cat eats something than very little. A cat who can maintain it's weight fairs much better with this illness.
You may also want to talk to your vet about apetite stimulants and maybe even phos' binders, in order to help her eat well.
Also B vitamins are invaluable to your CRF cat.

Catsey Junior

14-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
What a lovely cat! Sorry you're having these problems; hope the vet visit will give you some idea what might be causing it and it can get sorted. Agree the mat/towel is a good temporary solution; also that she's quite young for it to be feline dementia. Good luck, keep us posted, please.
Thank you - she is a real sweety, we think she is coming up thirteen but as i only rescued her in 2004 we can't be sure. I will definately do the mat thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Apparently the best thing to use is non biological washing powder and water for getting the urine smell out of carpets. I am sure Mags or Dinahsmum will be able to help with the correct amounts.
Is she vomitting any froth? It could be that she is not eat much due to excess tummy acid, this is a common complain with CRF cats and is easily treated with an antacid from your vet and/or slippery elm bark. Once treated your kitty will feel more like eating. Many cats will not eat much (if at all) of the prescription food available. It is much more important that your cat eats something than very little. A cat who can maintain it's weight fairs much better with this illness.
You may also want to talk to your vet about apetite stimulants and maybe even phos' binders, in order to help her eat well.
Also B vitamins are invaluable to your CRF cat.
Thanks for the advice. It is difficult to say about the sickness thing, because she often brings up hair balls, and who knows how long she has been going down hill really, but having said that she has been sick a few times recently and i wonder if it is getting more than usual...........another thing to add to the list of things to talk to the vets about!

I have tried the biological washing powder, i think i made a mistake the very first time she did wee as i washed it straight away with the washing powder without soaking up as much of the wee as i could first....then i read that doing this will spread the wee smell around more.

Catsey Veteran

14-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #7

Just another wee tip,
Write down all your questions and topics you want to discuss with your vet. Better to be armed than to forget something which might be important
It also helps the vet understand whats really going on with her and helps you to build a good working relationship with the vet in order to help her.
All the very best and please let us know how you get on.

Catsey Junior

14-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Just another wee tip,
Write down all your questions and topics you want to discuss with your vet. Better to be armed than to forget something which might be important
It also helps the vet understand whats really going on with her and helps you to build a good working relationship with the vet in order to help her.
All the very best and please let us know how you get on.

Thank you - I will do an update later in the week!

Will definately write a list, being pregnant I am getting used to have to write down lists of things i have to remember and do.........spongey brain now!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles
Thank you - I will do an update later in the week!

Will definately write a list, being pregnant I am getting used to have to write down lists of things i have to remember and do.........spongey brain now!
Oh, congratulations! When is your baby due?

Catsey Junior

14-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #10

Thank you - due date is 3rd June. Not long to go now really!