Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
28-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #1

Do you go to the gym?

At the age of 36 I had (until this week) never been to a gym. I went to a spinning class & really enjoyed it and want to join a gym now. So I'm looking around. Just wondered what peoples thoughts are about gyms. Are you a member? Do you use the gym?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
28-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #2

Re: Do you go to the gym?

I have just joined a gym at 42 so you are doing better than me!!

I like the one I go to as it is not a big "warehouse" type of gym but more a club. It has separate rooms for cardio/weights/classes etc so it feels small and exclusive. Sometimes I go to the gym and no one is in the room I am in which is good. It also has a swimming pool, jacuzzi, saunas etc.

I started off being able to do nothing, and on Monday I did my first 2km run. I can swim lots more than I could when I started too.

Favourite stuff is treadmill, cross trainer and pool!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #3

I joined a gym at 45 earlier this year and love it! One of the trainers there told me it was addicitive and it sure is I go everyday and have lost loads of weight and I'm so much fitter

Catsey Veteran

28-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #4

Well done both of you, that's really encouraging.
I don't know when I would find time to fit it in, but I was thinking of going early mornings before work. I'm trying to shop around and find the best gym for me, but I agree with you Donna, the smaller friendly ones seem nicer. I went spinning with my friend at her gym, which is perfect but it's 20 minutes away from work in the wrong direction and I already live an hour away from work, so can't justify the extra travelling which is a shame.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
28-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #5

Yes location is important otherwise you find excuses for not going. Where I go its between work and home.. about a minute's drive from the office so I leave work at 3pm and am in the gym at 3.05pm!! Home by 4.30-5pm. Kids older now at 17 and 15 so dont feel I am being a bad mum for letting them be on their own for the first hour after school etc.

Am off work this week - so am going there for 2pm today for a few hours.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #6

What's a spinning class Smugley? Don't suppose it has anything to do with wool!!!

I can't call my weekly gym a "gym" really. It's for people who have done a pulmonary rehab course and we are all old "puffers".

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
28-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #7

Spinning is something to do with fast-paced cycling to music . . . I did stick my head around the door of a class some while back but nearly died of exhaustion in the 5 seconds I spent watching . . .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #8

I've never been to a gym. I'm not at all athletic; my exercises such as they are have always been more solitary: running, exercise bike and light weights. And not as often as I should!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #9

That's something I have found of real benefit - light weights. My shoulders were scrunchy and felt tight and stiff. I've been using weights only once a week and my shoulders are heaps better. I started at .5k and am now up to 1.5k - well worth doing - huge return for very little effort on my part.

Catsey Veteran

28-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-5yQJ0nPN8

this is spinning Angie