Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #1

Tortoise

Anyone got one?

We are thinking about getting one.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
02-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #2

Re: Tortoise

I had one in my childhood days - called it Timmy I used to rub olive oil into his shell to keep it in shiny andgood condition.

Unfortunately it died one winter during hibernation

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #3

I had a pet box turtle as a child; lovely fellow, would eat tomato right out of your hand.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #4

I had two tortoises as a child - was not allowed "furry" pets because of asthma. I can't say that I loved them greatly. Preferred the goldfish.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
03-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #5

I have a Hermann's tortoise

Catsey Veteran

03-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #6

This video was taken a couple days ago of him playing with the cats

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
03-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #7

He's cute Fran! I would have thought Sherman would've been a more appropriate name though; as in Sherman tank

I had tortoises as a child too, remember them being singularly unremarkable as a pet but also remember them not waking from the hibernation and finding ways out of the garden, which my Mum had secured fairly well

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #8

Great vid Fran! Nice to see you btw ...... why did I think it funny to see your tortoise go into reverse??? Of course they have to be able to go backwards

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
03-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #9

Thanks for posting that video Fran, he's a fast little mover isn't he? How old is he?

Catsey Veteran

03-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #10

Hi Smudgley, good to see you again Herbi is around 9 years old now. Tortoises are much higher maintenance that people think and hibernation has to done properly as many tortoises die during hibernation for a variety of reasons. Years ago, when were were kids, Blue Peter, year on year advocated you hibernated your tortoise in the airing cupboard, this is absolutely not the case and tortoises need to be kept cold although not too cold during hibernation. Different species of tortoise have different requirements, so a lot would depend on the species you decide on if you do decide to get a tortoise. I'd be happy to give you any help I could if you need it Smudgley.

People think that tortoises are really boring pets but they are absolutely not! They are intelligent, interactive and crave attention. I guess it's different if you have a garden tortoise rather than a house tortoise, much the same as it would be having a ferral cat vs a lap cat! As with any animal, you get back what you put in. IMO tortoises are very good pets for children in that they live for absolutely ever (unlike hamsters and the small furries) they are non allergenic, are very interactive and an endless source of entertainment. The only think I would say, however, as with most reptiles, they can carry salmonella in their faeces, so you have to be scrupulous about hand washing after handling them.

Yola - what a superb name!! I'd love to rename him Sherman as I love it so much! However, he does know his name

Good to see you all, hope everyone is well