Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
18-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #1

Catsey charity

Been thinking about this for a while....not sure if anybody would agree that it is a good idea.

What would people think if we set up a charity whereby people could donate money and we could vote say every few months who we would like to help - could be a cats protection branch or a member who is fostering on catsey etc.

Comments welcome.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #2

Re: Catsey charity

In principle, a great idea Emma. In practice, a nightmare I should think.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
18-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #3

I think it is a great idea. I also think (as angieh said) facilitating it could be a nightmare.

I would be happy to help in anyway if need be.

Catsey Veteran

18-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #4

I thought if we kept it simple. Just have a paypal account for donations and perhaps when we have a certain amount in there (say £100) we could decide on where it was donated - personally I don't mind who got the money as long as it went to somebody locally - I stopped donating to the RSPCA after reading a lot of horror stories. If we set up a small charity at least we knew our money would make a real difference.

We could also sell a bit of Catsey merchandise to help raise some funds?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #5

In theory, a great idea, specially the PayPal account, which makes it easy for a non UK member like me to contribute. Catsey merchandise? Remember how we could never get the tee shirts started? And it took Matt to get the Catsey calendar finalized, and then not many people bought it.

So, I love the idea, but I think it's a case of herding cats. I welcome other opinions ....

Catsey Veteran

18-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #6

Merchandise is a lot easier to buy now a days Eileen, also a lot of places don't have minimum orders like they use to.

We could keep it simple with the merchandise - mugs, bookmarks, coasters, etc. Just have a small selection, but with enough mark up to make it worthwhile.

Catsey Veteran

18-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #7

I love the idea, but do remember the calendar and the tee shirts. I loved my calendar and would really like another ......

Catsey Veteran

18-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #8

OK to make it simpler. suppose we decide on a Catsey mug. What color? What wording? Pic a generic cat or one of ours (decided how, by vote?) What vendor? Who picks the vendor and sets the price? Who negotiates with vendor?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade; I love the idea, but having been thru the tee shirt bit, am very much inclined to play Devil's advocate here. There is usually a lot of enthusiasm in the beginning, but it falls off when we get to the details.

Emma, I'd be glad to work with you if you want to take charge of getting this up and running.

I would gladly contribute a small amount monthly to the charity bit.

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #9

Any one else want to weigh in on this???????

Catsey Veteran

19-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #10

Only really to day that I don't want to dampen Emma's enthusiasm as it is a really good idea and I would certainly join in. But I understand exactly what you're saying Eileen and certainly it has been true in the past ....... maybe things can change?

It would presumably need Az's approval to begin with as a first step.