Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
14-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #1

I have found some feral kittens.....

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I noticed a litter of feral kittens at the end of my next door neighbours garden, there appears to be 3 or 4 of them, teeny tiny little poppets.

Their mum is a local known feral born to another local feral who was born to.... a local man's female who couldn't be bothered to neuter her (despite my constant moaning at him to do so!). So I guess I use the word 'feral' quite loosely..

The mummy cat (who must only be about 6-7 months herself..) often comes to my house (my 3 male - neutered I hasten to add - cats adore her, probably due to her scent!!) although she is very frightened of us, she is bold and will wonder around the house. She does not appear to be looking after her kittens although if she is local perhaps she is going back and forth to them? (I don't know anything about kittens...)

Anyway my question is, should I try and catch these kittens and take them in or let nature take it's course and allow them to roam free? My feeling is that if I can somehow catch them then I can get them properly neutered at the correct time and stop all these feral kittens being born... or find decent homes where I know they'll be properly looked after and neutered?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
14-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #2

Re: I have found some feral kittens.....

Please try to catch them, otherwise they will turn feral and breed themselves, with you they have a chance of a normal life....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #3

Yes, catch them if you can; being treated, socialized and neutered later you can break the chain and ensure a happier life for those wee ones! Raising kittens can be a big job, but think of the fun watching them grow!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 Cats
15-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #4

Definately catch them. I found it hard looking after a litter of 6 kittens but I enjoyed it (wouldn't do it again) but it was really lovely watching them grow and making them extremely friendly. When my kittens were viewed even the RSPCA said that they had never seen a litter of kittens so friendly. I handled mine every day. A few pointers.
Touch there paws, ears, mouth daily this helps that when they are older they will allow to have teeth checked claws clipped and ears checked without problems.

Catsey Senior

15-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #5

Hmmm my thoughts exactly, stop the chain... I've been searching high and low today but mum must have taken them off somewhere new. They won't be far as mum has been visiting me daily for at least a year.

I think they are only a few weeks old, is it really right to take them so young, I thought they shouldn't be taken away from mum until at about 3 months old?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
15-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet.Tears
Definately catch them. I found it hard looking after a litter of 6 kittens but I enjoyed it (wouldn't do it again) but it was really lovely watching them grow and making them extremely friendly. When my kittens were viewed even the RSPCA said that they had never seen a litter of kittens so friendly. I handled mine every day. A few pointers.
Touch there paws, ears, mouth daily this helps that when they are older they will allow to have teeth checked claws clipped and ears checked without problems.
I love that what a clever but simple thing to do.

Definetly catch them, they can still be weaned without their Mum. Lots of kittens are. Speak to your vet, ours gave us some kitten formula to give them and showed us how to make them wee etc. Was a fantastic thing to be part of

Catsey Senior

15-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #7

I will keep looking for them, thanks all.... they were 'living' behind next door's shed in an extremely awkward place but they haven't been there since yesterday morning so think they have moved on. I will keep looking as I can't get them out of my head, poor wee things.
Thanks again

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 Cats
15-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #8

I hope u find them. Anything could happen to them out there.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #9

Good luck - I do hope you find them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
16-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #10

If mum vists you daily, she may stay if she sees you have her kittens. Its a pity you couldnt get hold of her to get her spayed when she is finished rearing her babies